With the passing of the comedic legend, Robin Williams, after years of suffering with depression, it is time to discuss some preventative measures for depression.
Here is Dr. Marco Ferrucci's
Top 5 Tips for Preventing or Conquering Depression.
1. Begin an exercise program. Exercise helps the brain to release more serotonin (your "happy" hormone), which helps to prevent depressive thoughts.
2. Take Omega-3 Fish oils. A high dose of Omega-3 Fish Oil will help decrease chronic inflammation in the brain, which can help decrease the risk of depression.
3. Open up and talk about your emotions. Many people hold onto their emotions and that can cause more of a "depression" or separation from others, exacerbating the underlying issues. Talking about these issues will release that stress and take the "weight" off your shoulders.
4. Manage your sugar intake. High sugars diets from everything from table sugars, cookies and cakes to high carbohydrate foods, processed foods, breads and pastas can cause a fluctuation in your blood sugar levels and increase your risk for depression.
5. Optimize your Sleep. Research shows that changes in circadian rhythm (sleep pattern) may be linked to depression. Try to go to sleep the same time each night, limit the amount of white light coming from TVs, Alarm clocks, night lights, etc. and if needed, try a natural Melatonin supplement.
About the Author:
Dr. Marco Ferrucci is the author of Change Your Mindset, Transform Your Life, a chiropractor and co-owner of The Chiropractic Source and Lyndhurst Chiropractic in NJ.
More on Conquering Depression
from your editor, Deborah Tukua
Food for Thought:
Those that tell jokes and laugh often may do so to disguise their depression from others.
About the Author:
Deborah Tukua is the editor of Journey to Natural Living, a freelance writer and the author of Naturally Sweet Blender Treats: 55 Fresh-from-the-Blender Recipes, and Marketing Strategies for Chiropractic Success.
Articles and recipes by natural living and healthy lifestyle author and writer,
Welcome to Journey to Natural Living. Join us on the journey as we share articles, recipes, and tips to empower you to live a healthy, proactive lifestyle.
Sign-up for our monthly newsletter below.