Looking for an easy, yet natural way to add the fragrances of fall to every room in your home? We love the fragrances of fall as much as we love the rich, vibrant colors. We’re sharing ten of our favorite DIY ideas and projects to help you add natural beauty and the essence of autumn to the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and hearth.
1. Before turning on the lights, add a drop of apple extract or cinnamon essential oil to the light bulbs in lamps, chandeliers, and pendant lights.
2. Freshen and clean the bathroom tub, sink and toilet with seasonally scented baking soda. Put one cup of baking soda into a glass jar. Select one of the autumn essence fragrances from the following blends and add it to the jar with the baking soda.
Cover the jar and lightly shake. To use, apply a little scented baking soda to a wet sponge or place directly in a wet sink or tub and scrub to clean and freshly scent your bathroom.
3. Freshen your rugs and carpets with the fragrance of an evergreen forest by making your own scented baking soda. Put one cup of baking soda into a glass jar. Add 15 drops of pine needle or spruce essential oil to a jar with holes punched in the metal top or use a slide-top syrup dispenser. When ready to use, sprinkle pine scented powder on rugs or carpets and leave for 15 to 30 minutes, and then vacuum.
4. Love the smell of fresh brewed coffee? Enjoy the rich aroma 24-7. Fill the bottom third of a wine glass or other glassware with coffee beans. Insert a vanilla or beeswax votive candle in the center. Place in a cozy room and enjoy.
5. Toss pinecones and cinnamon sticks or evergreen clippings together in a decorative basket and set beside a fireplace or use as a centerpiece to make your room look, feel and smell like fall. To heighten the fragrance, add a few drops of cinnamon or pine needle essential oil to the pinecones.
6. Decorate your kitchen with a fragrant spice wreath. To make your own, glue dried orange peels, dried apples, cinnamon sticks, cloves, anise and bay leaves onto a straw wreath form.
7. Fill a vase with stems of fragrant eucalyptus and a peacock feather for a beautiful, scented decoration.
8. Bring the fresh autumn air indoors with this seasonal blend of essential oils in your ultrasonic, cool water diffuser. Try this Autumn is in Air Blend --To your diffuser add: 8 drops of sweet orange essential oil, 6 drops of sage essential oil, and 6 drops of lime essential oil. This fragrant mist will pleasantly scent the air indoors.
9. Make your own oil reed diffuser scented with the warm fragrances of fall. To make a Fragrant Autumn Bouquet Blend, pour 4 ounces of vegetable glycerin or sweet almond oil into a glass apothecary bottle with a narrow opening. Next, add 12 drops of sweet orange essential oil, 3 drops of cinnamon essential oil, 3 drops of ginger essential oil, and 2 drops of clove essential oil. Insert 5 to 7 wooden skewers in the bottle and stir slightly. Tie a cinnamon stick or a decorative ribbon around the neck of the bottle, if desired. The reeds will draw up the autumn fragrance and subtly release it into the air.
10. Crockpots waft the soothing scents of the season throughout the kitchen when hot mulled cider is simmering. Besides a crockpot you’ll need: 2 quarts apple cider, ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 orange, peeled and sectioned, 1 short cinnamon stick, and 1 teaspoon whole cloves. Directions: Tie the cloves and orange peels in a cheesecloth or muslin bag. Combine all the ingredients in a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 3-6 hours. Remove and discard the spice bag. Enjoy the flavors and fragrances of fall in your cup.
About the Author:
Deborah Tukua is the editor of Journey to Natural Living and the author of the healthy fresh from the blender recipe book, Naturally Sweet Blender Treats. Check out Lowell and Deborah's super sturdy and handsome DIY Gardening Potting Bench Plans. Deborah is a freelance writer for the Farmers' Almanac and Chiropractic Economics magazine and author of the book, Marketing Strategies for Chiropractic Success.
Articles and recipes by health and natural living author and freelance writer,
Welcome to Journey to Natural Living. Join us on the journey as we share articles, recipes, and tips to empower you to live a healthy, proactive lifestyle.